Thursday, May 8, 2008

ProMeris at 1-800-PetMeds

Fort Dodge Animal Health has introduced a new over-the-counter (OTC) product called ProMeris. This product is available as Promeris For Cats, for flea prevention in cats 8 weeks of age or older, and ProMeris For Dogs, for flea and tick prevention in dogs 8 weeks of age or older.

ProMeris For Cats and ProMeris For Dogs both contain the chemical metaflumizone. Metaflumizone blocks nerve impulses in the flea by targeting voltage dependent sodium channels on both sides of the nerve synapse. This new approach to flea control acts by blocking the influx of sodium which is required to allow nerve impulses to occur.

ProMeris For Dogs also contains the chemical amitraz to control ticks. Amitraz is classified as a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOi). The manufacturer states that ProMeris For Dogs "contains a patent-protected formulation, which is designed to prevent absorption through the skin, It should not be compared with other amitraz formulations". Be that as it may, if your dog is using an MAOi such as Anipryl, selegiline, Mitaban Dip, or Preventic Collar, you should first consult your veterinarian before applying ProMeris For Dogs. People taking MAOi's (such as Parnate, Nardil, Eldepryl, and selegiline) should use particular care when applying this product and until the product is completely dry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used ProMeris after purchasing it at a local vet's office. I am SO SORRY I did. My dog became very ill within 24 hours. The internet is full of reports of similar cases (and worse--including two dog deaths). I have created a webpage to warn others. Other flea/tick remedies are available that do not carry the awful side effects possible with ProMeris. If only I had taken the time to learn that. http://hometown.aol.com/janey1098/ProMeris.html

Anonymous said...

I too purchased Promeris from my vet.
The first month, my yellow lab, Sadie seemed to tolerate it fine.
Then last Tuesday is was time for her second month. First, it smells horrible. I administered it as the directions say, in the evening.
The next morning, I thought that my dog had had a stroke. Her mouth was open about half way, but just sort of hanging open. She was drooling (which she never does) and acting lethargic. I took her for a walk, and she wanted me to carry her home. She seemed to get worse as the day went on. She could barely walk, and seemed disoriented. I was so scared. That is when I got on google to see if this was in fact the Promeris. Several others have said their dogs reacted the very same way. She didn't get worse the next day and seemed a little (very little) better. It took about 5 days for her to be back to her old self.
Do not give this to your dog. I read that small dogs have died from this med.

Pet Meds said...

Hi Janey sorry to hear about what happened to your pet. I am glad I came across this post about promeris. My vet also recommended it, but I have not bought it yet. Are there any other recommendations besides ProMeris? I will ofcourse ask my vet also.

Anonymous said...

The skin disease is characterized by multi-colored fiber-like (filamentous) strands extruding from the skin!
[url=http://www.morgellons-disease-research.com/]morgellons syndrome[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello
Companies House Webcheck
Webcheck Companies House

[url=http://perosnalbinking.v3host.be/companies-house-webcheck.html]companies house webcheck service[/url]